Friday, June 15, 2012

Keeping in Touch

Yesterday I did something I thought I wouldn't do ever again. I reactivated my Facebook account. I had been off for a few months (minus a couple of days to test the waters) and had no intention of returning. And then my beyond-adorable, kind, sweet, baby (but not a baby anymore!) brother left for Germany.

Saying goodbye FaceTime style. Never mind the scary, turban'd blob in the corner.

I've always been quite vocal in my stance that if someone is important to you, then there are many other means of communicating - email, text, snail mail, but the reality is this only works if the other person doesn't rely on Facebook. A 16 year old relies on Facebook, so I'm back. But let me tell you,  going off of Facebook is a very interesting social experiment.  Let's just say - people get sorted.

In the past few Facebook-free months, I have had many meaningful phone conversations, sent a few letters and received a lovely handwritten thank you note and present from a dear friend. (Stephanie, thank you soo much! Wish you were here to go through the Wills and Kate mag with me.) On the flip-side, however, I missed out on some important news and forgot a birthday or two.

Since graduating from college, I have lived 1,000+ miles from home. My closest friends are spread throughout the country and everyone is always going somewhere. Facebook was and is a way to stay in the loop and keep up with my friends. Unfortunately, it became a tool for comparison rather than communication.You might be asking why I'm telling you all this, so here is the moral of the story...

Keep in touch; call, text, write, knock on the door of the people who are important to you! And be content in your life. Wherever you are right now is exactly where you (and I) are supposed to be.

a

My Facebook Round 2 trial period will be re-evaluated when I return from my Great Adventure.


2 comments:

  1. Mabes!! I'm so happy you got the package-- I wasn't sure if you were already too busy globetrotting to get it before you left :) Sigh. I wish we were reading it together too, but you can always send me any thoughts or feedback when you've had time to digest its awesomeness ;) Loving this blog, can't wait to hear about your adventures! Oh, and I'm calling you tomorrow so we can debrief one last time... mil besos!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you're back on Facebook! I missed you!

    ReplyDelete