Sunday, June 17, 2012

Father Figures



As a child who doesn't have a relationship with my biological father, Father's Day is sort of a weird day. Growing up we would give my step-dad a card and present, but the day never held any real significance. In college and sometimes now, I will send my mom a "Thanks for being my mother and my father" card. This year I forgot. Sorry, Mom. Oddly enough, I have never really felt like I was missing out. Of course, there are those awkward events for fathers & daughters and people discussing dancing with their dad at their wedding, but overall it hasn't really phased me. I think I figured out why....

I have constantly been surround by incredible male friends and role-models.

As I was laying by the pool today watching all of the dads with their children, I reflected on all the father figures and strong men I've had in my life. There was Harold, my next door neighbor from the time I was three who never missed a Grandparent's day and who showed my brother and I how to tie a tie. My step-dad, Sid, who taught me how to drive, has moved me more times than I can count, and gives me power tools for almost every holiday.  The fathers of some of my closest friends have even adopted me a little - Mr. Collins leaves me coupons for oil changes and fixed my tire :)

My friend group has always been a little male heavy and I realize now it has been God's way of giving me a "father."  In high school I had my swimmer boys, especially Mark, who wouldn't let me get away with anything and who disliked the boy I dated. (They were right about him.) In college there was Alex, who to this day gives me advice and tells me the things I don't want to hear, but need to hear. In ACE, I had so many friends looking out for me - listening to my struggles and supporting me along the way.  Cisco still does pretty much every single day.  

Finally, God gave me two incredible brothers who always have my back. Most girls picture their dad walking them down the aisle, but for me, it will be Briggs on one side and Seth on the other. And I'll be a big ball of tears.

Brothers, we need a new family picture!
There is something to be said about knowing I can pick up the phone and call any one of these men and they would help me with anything in an instant. I may not have a real dad, but honestly between God and these wonderful gentlemen, I am most definitely not lacking.

Happy Father's Day to all of those people who are fatherly in some way!

No comments:

Post a Comment