Monday, November 25, 2013

I like to keep TSA on their toes.

I'm a city girl who just happened to grow up in a small town and who currently lives in a different small town. My favorite days growing up were when my mom and I would plan to go to St. Louis to get our big city fix.  We would shop all day, eat lunch and  have the greatest time. I remember planning out what I would wear for those excursions for weeks before the actual day.

Now that I am a grown-up (ha!), I have chosen to live in a small town again for a few years, but I miss the city every day. I especially miss my super healthy, everything at your fingertips, weird-loving Austin. While I now live at the beach and have different opportunities, what I miss most is access to affordable, healthy food options. As I get ready to embark on the Whole 30 Challenge, I think this is going to be my biggest challenge. Of course Fresh Market has most of what I need, but at twice the price I am used to paying. Will I suck it up and pay it? Yes. Will I like it? This frugal foodie says, "heck to the no!"

Since I am such a frugal (tight-wad), you better believe I make the most of Southwest's free bag policy.  The past few times I have been home I have brought an extra bag that I fill with goodies from Trader Joe's.  My mom and I stop their either the day I land or the day I fly back.  This time I stocked up on things I will be using on the Challenge. Look at all the goodies!

Coconut oil, ghee, nuts, dried (no sugar-added) raspberries, the BEST mint tea, some spices, and Cashew cookie Lara bars.  And the fact that they are Whole30 approved isn't even the best part. My mom treated me to all of it!!! She's the greatest. Full disclosure - I also bought some non approved items to use in the meantime. Now if only I could pack the perishable stuff. I'm pretty sure the TSA security guys have some interesting reactions when my bags get inspected.



No comments:

Post a Comment